Wearing earrings is a popular beauty method nowadays that both men and women love. But the most concerning question for many people is how long it takes for ear piercing to heal?
If you're researching this issue, follow the article below to get the answer and make ear piercing easier and safer!
I. What is ear piercing?
Ear piercing is a method where a piercer uses a piercing needle (a specialized, medical-grade needle) that is very rigid and has a sharp end and a clear interior for inserting the earring.
Usually, when you get your ears pierced, the wounds will swell and become red. They may bleed in the first few hours, but the pain and soreness will subside after a few hours, and the wounds will heal within about 2-8 weeks.
In case the wounds discharge yellow fluid, accompanied by a foul odor and itching after the piercing has been done for a while, it means there is an issue with your ear piercing hole. At that time, pay attention to cleanliness and consult a doctor for examination!
II. How long do ear piercings usually take to heal?
The healing time for ear piercing depends on various factors such as individual constitution and your care routine. If you have a proper diet, avoid activities that can cause inflammation or allergic reactions to the piercing hole, you will recover quickly.
- Healing time for lobe piercings: 2-6 weeks
- Healing time for cartilage piercings: 6 weeks to 1 year, depending on the piercing location.
III. Factors affecting the healing time after ear piercing
Ear piercing is increasingly popular nowadays, so the question that arises is how long it takes for the ear piercing to recover? The answer depends on the following factors:
- Skill of the piercer
This is an important factor that greatly determines the healing time of the ear piercing. If the piercer is experienced, accurately determines the piercing location, performs it safely without causing pain, the piercing hole will heal quickly.
- Piercing equipment
Another factor that affects the healing process after ear piercing is the piercing equipment. If the piercing equipment is not properly sterilized, it can lead to pus formation and prolonged healing of the piercing. On the other hand, if the piercing equipment is properly sterilized and ensures safety, the healing time will be faster. Therefore, choosing a reputable piercing location is extremely important to ensure safety.
- Natural disposition of each person
Each person has a different health constitution, so if you are sensitive, prone to allergies, or infections, you should consider before getting your ears pierced. On the other hand, if you have a strong constitution, the healing process after ear piercing will be faster.
- Care method
Taking care of the pierced ears is also an important factor that affects the healing process. If you clean the pierced area properly, the healing time will be faster. However, if you don't know how to care for and clean the pierced area correctly, there is a risk of infection, prolonged pus formation, and a long healing time.
Diet also plays a significant role in the recovery of ear piercing. After getting your ears pierced, you will be instructed on a suitable diet to help you recover quickly. If you consume foods that are not good for the healing wound, such as seafood, eggs, beef, water spinach, sticky rice, it can cause swelling, inflammation, pus formation, infection, and pain.
IV. How do you take care of a tragus piercing?
To ensure quick and safe healing of ear piercing, you can consider the following care tips:
- Wash your hands thoroughly before cleaning the pierced area, clean the front and back of the piercing with diluted saline or antibacterial soap using a cotton swab.
- Clean the pierced area with soap or hypochlorous acid.
- Soak the earrings in saline solution to clean bacteria and rust deposits.
In addition, you should also take note of the following:
- Avoid wearing tight clothes and be cautious with hair and scarves to prevent them from getting tangled with the earrings during the initial healing period.
- Avoid applying makeup near the healing piercing area.
- After getting your ears pierced, avoid swimming in public pools or hot tubs.
- Avoid touching the piercing hole excessively, as it can cause irritation and lead to ear infections.
- Avoid consuming foods that may cause scarring and infection, such as seafood, eggs, beef, water spinach, and sticky rice. Instead, consume foods rich in protein, iron, vitamin B12, etc., during the initial healing period.
V. Some notes when getting your ears pierced
Before deciding to get your ears pierced, you need to know the following:
- First and foremost, when you plan to get your ears pierced, you must choose a reputable and safe piercing location.
- If it's your first time getting your ears pierced, avoid choosing highly painful piercing locations to alleviate concerns for future piercings.
- Request the piercer to sterilize the piercing equipment before the procedure to avoid infection.
The above article has provided you with all the necessary information about how long ear piercing takes to heal. Hopefully, it has given you useful insights, and I wish you successful ear piercing!
At Helios Global, we have an amazing range of earrings to choose from, whether you are shopping for a special occasion, or an everyday staple, we will have something to suit all your needs.