0 items

Your cart is empty!

Sterling silver and 925 silver. Which is better? – Helios Global

Sterling silver and 925 silver. Which is better?

Table Of Contents

When it comes to silver jewelry, two terms frequently pop up: sterling silver and 925 silver. Many individuals are unsure about the differences between them and which one is superior. In this comprehensive guide, we'll delve into the intricacies of sterling silver and 925 silver, demystify their definitions, and help you make an informed choice for your jewelry needs.

1. What is sterling silver?

Alloying silver with additional metals produces the alloy known as sterling silver. It's composition is 92.5 percent silver and 7.5 percent alloy. Nickel, copper, and zinc are all viable additions to the alloys.


To make an alloy that is more durable and less prone to wear and tear than pure silver, copper is often added to the silver. This alloy is known as sterling silver.

Purity standards for sterling silver set the threshold at 92.5%, therefore 7.5% of the alloy can be copper or another metal (usually nickel or zinc).

Coin silver, an alloy of lower purity, is another option. Typically, its silver content is 90% or less.

Some countries, including the United States of America and Europe, have a rigors sterling silver standard of 92.5 silver to 7.5 other alloys, while other countries, such France, have a standard of 95 silver to 5 other alloys. However, 92.5 is the universally accepted norm.

Silver's utility is enhanced by combining it with other metals (usually copper). Silver makes up 92.5% of sterling silver, with the remaining 7.5% coming from copper and other alloys. Non-sterling metals are those that contain less than 92.5% silver.

Most silver jewellery is made of sterling silver, despite popular belief to the contrary.

2. What is S925 silver? 

This begs the question, then: just what is "925 silver"? Simply said, it's just as valuable as sterling silver. The term "925" represents the silver's purity level, denoting that it consists of 92.5% silver and 7.5% other metals. This composition adheres to international standards and is widely recognized as the benchmark for high-quality silver jewelry. Thus, there is no discernible distinction between sterling silver and 925 silver – they refer to the same silver alloy. The only real distinction between sterling silver and 925 silver is in the nomenclature; both are composed of the same silver alloy blend.

3. Sterling silver and 925 silver. Which is better?

Both sterling silver and 925 silver are essentially the same thing. The term "sterling silver" refers to a type of silver alloy that contains 92.5% silver and 7.5% of other metals, typically copper. The reason it is called 925 silver is that the purity of the silver is expressed as 925 parts per thousand, or 92.5%.

So, in terms of quality and composition, there is no difference between sterling silver and 925 silver. They both refer to the same silver alloy with the same silver content. The term "sterling silver" is more commonly used in the jewelry industry, while "925 silver" is often used to denote the purity of silver in various contexts.

When purchasing silver jewelry, it's important to look for markings or stamps that indicate the silver content. Both "sterling" and "925" markings signify the same level of purity, so you can consider them equally reliable. However, it's worth noting that the overall quality of the piece will depend not only on the silver content but also on craftsmanship, design, and other factors.

In the realm of silver jewelry, the terms "sterling silver" and "925 silver" are used interchangeably to describe the same silver alloy with 92.5% purity. Rather than fixating on which term is superior, it's crucial to focus on factors like craftsmanship, design, and personal style when making your jewelry selections. Whether you opt for sterling silver or 925 silver, you can enjoy the timeless beauty and enduring quality of silver jewelry for years to come.

At Helios Global, we are proud to offer a wide selection of silver rings to help you achieve your desired style.


Subscribe to our newsletter